NMU Global Campus Students:

Welcome to the 2023-24 academic year at Northern Michigan University. We are honored to have you as a part of our campus community.

I hope your summer provided you with time to re-energize and reconnect with friends and family while also providing a respite from studies. As you return to your coursework, I also hope you are ready to experience new discoveries, activities, and relationships this upcoming academic year.

Taking courses online can be challenging; it requires discipline and dedication. But the online learning experience can also be very rewarding. Commit yourself to do what is needed to succeed. And don’t forget that Northern’s Global Campus stands behind you, ready to support you in achieving your educational goals.   

I also want to remind you that you have an outstanding support system at Northern from the talent and dedication of the NMU faculty and staff, the strong support for students from Upper Peninsula community members, to the willingness of NMU alumni and friends to help in myriad ways. In choosing Northern Michigan University, you have chosen well.

Best wishes for an outstanding year of personal, academic and professional growth.

Brock Tessman, President

Student Services Offices Open Saturday, Aug. 26

The following offices will be open Saturday, Aug. 26, from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. to provide student services prior to the beginning of the fall semester, which begins Monday, Aug. 28.

  • Academic and Career Advisement Center
  • Dean of Students (Including First Generation Program)
  • Disability Services
  • Financial Aid
  • First Year Experience
  • Housing and Residence Life
  • NMU Police Department
  • Student Service Center
  • Student Support Services
  • Veteran Services

Global Campus Web Course

All students taking a web course will be required to complete an online tutorial prior to being able to access the course. This tutorial is a one-time requirement; once you have completed it, you will not need to complete it again in the future. The tutorial is available under your list of courses in EduCat. It can be completed any time, but must be done before you can log into a web course(s). The tutorial itself is estimated to take two or three hours to fully complete, although your progress is saved along the way if you want or need to take it in smaller intervals of time.

Network User ID and Password

Wondering how to find your network user ID and password used to access NMU network and email services? MyUser is a web server that enables students, faculty and staff to check the status of their NMU accounts. You can also change your account password and personalize settings such as e-mail spam filtering. MyUser also offers the ability for users to check the status of login, e-mail, web and personal information. For more information contact the Help Desk, helpdesk@nmu.edu, 227-2468, 116 Learning Resource Center.

University ID Available to Global Campus Students

If you would like to receive an NMU student ID card, instructions and requirements can be found here. With the Wildcat Express ID card, Global Campus students will receive all of the benefits as on-campus NMU students, including:

NMU Student ID Card Perks

  • Discounts on tickets to NMU sporting events and activities on campus
  • Library privileges including the ability to check out NMU library books and utilize library resources
  • Bike rental from the NMU bike share program for up to three days with no charge http://www.nmu.edu/asnmu/bike-share
  • Discounts from Marquette County businesses that participate in the Wildcat Wallet Discount program:http://www.nmu.edu/asnmu/wildcat-wallet
  • Discounts from other businesses (discounts may include movie theater, cultural events, restaurants and public transportation)

Academic and Financial Records - Proxy Access

Students have the option of sharing certain aspects of their academic records with others through our Proxy Access system. Granting access is done easily through the student's MyNMU account. All they need is the email address of the person they want to give access to. Click here for more information and instructions on how to grant someone access.

Email is the Official Form of Communication at NMU

Northern Michigan University uses a student’s NMU email account as its primary means of communicating official university business, including legally required information. As a condition of enrollment, all NMU students are required to use their assigned NMU email accounts to receive communication from the university.

Graduating? Don't Miss the Registration Deadline!

If you are planning to graduate at the end of the winter semester, you must register for graduation so a final degree audit can be completed to verify your eligibility. Register online just the same way as you would for a course or contact the Student Service Center at 906-227-1221. The deadline is Thurs., Aug. 29. After Aug. 29, those students who plan to graduate in December (and did not register), will be required to complete a Request to Add Graduation form available from the Registrar's Office.

Communication Tools

Northern Today is NMU's news blog, designed to keep the campus, including students, informed about the University's decision-making, changes in policies and procedures, events on campus, student/faculty/staff accomplishments and upcoming deadlines.

The blog is delivered to student NMU email addresses twice a week, usually on Mondays and Thursdays, during the fall and winter semesters. The blog includes links to news reports, special features and periodic updates from the president and vice presidents and links to the NMU calendar events.

If you have information you think should be featured in Northern Today, contact Kristi Evans, NMU news director, at kevans@nmu.edu or 906-227-2720.

NMU Offers Emergency Text-Message Alerts

Northern Michigan University offers an instant text-messaging program to alert students, faculty and staff to on-campus emergencies.

While the service is free – aside from any text messaging fee associated with the cell phone carrier – it isn't automatic. Individuals must opt-in by registering at nmu.edu/alerts. You must have an NMU e-mail account and a phone that accepts text messages. You can also sign up family members to receive the same alerts sent to the campus community.

"There is talk of making this type of service a requirement for all universities," said Jeff Mincheff of NMU Public Safety and Police Services. "A driving force behind this is the Clery Act and its emphasis on timely notification. It's estimated 95 percent or more of the campus population has cell phones with text-messaging capability, so it's an easy way to contact a majority of the people you're trying to reach in an urgent situation."

The program is designed to enable all types of text messaging, but NMU uses the system only for emergency notifications and announcement of inclement weather-related closures.

"We already have a variety of tools that we can use to try to contact members of the NMU community in times of an emergency, such as e-mail, voice mail, large monitors in some facilities, websites, announcements to media outlets and person-to-person communication. This is another tool that affords us one more way to try to get information out as quickly as possible," said Mincheff.

To learn more about NMU's emergency text messaging program, go to nmu.edu/alerts.

Tuition and Fee Billing

Tuition and fee billing statements are available online at My.NMU. Payments can also be made at: payment.nmu.edu/ebill. The due date for tuition, fees, room and board is Fri., Aug. 13. Log into My.NMU, go to the Student Services tab and go to the eBill Payment System link. For questions about tuition and fees, financial aid or general “start of the semester” matters, contact the Student Service Center.

Tuition and fee rates and billing statements are available for viewing and/or making payment at ebill.nmu.edu. For questions about tuition and fees, financial aid or general “start of the semester” matters, call 906-227-1221.

Tuition and Fee Payment Plans

NMU offers three options for the payment of tuition and fees. The options are designed to assist students and their families to meet their financial obligations to the university. More information is posted on the web at nmu.edu/paymentplans or contact the Student Service Center.

Student Service Center
2201 Hedgcock
Phone: 906-227-1221
Email: ssc@nmu.edu
Website: nmu.edu/ssc

Expecting an Overage Check?

A notice will be sent to your NMU e-mail address when your overage check is available. To receive your refunds (overages) directly deposited (ACH) to your checking account, visit MyNMU. Select the Student Tab and within the Financial Aid - Information link you will find instruction for eRefunds.  For more information contact the Student Service Center, C.B. Hedgcock, Room 2201, Phone: 906-227-1221, E-mail: ssc@nmu.edu, Website: nmu.edu/ssc.

Order Your Transcripts Online!

Northern Michigan University has partnered with the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) to provide transcript ordering online through your MyNMU account. Students can order official transcripts from anywhere with an internet connection and receive an electronic PDF delivered to an email address in less than an hour. This service also sends email notifications of order status throughout the process. 

More information about requesting a transcript can be found on the How to Request a Transcript webpage.


The university does not mail grade reports. Final grades will be available online at MyNMU after each semester. You can also access an unofficial transcript and check your course schedule using MyNMU.

Grade Changes

Occasionally an error is made in the calculation or recording of a grade. If you feel that a clerical error has been made in a grade, contact your instructor immediately. Faculty must submit grade changes for clerical errors to the Registrar's Office by the 15th working day of the semester. Students formally appealing a grade must submit a grade appeal to the respective academic department within 30 calendar days of the start of the next semester. More details regarding the grade appeal process can be found in the Student Handbook.

Course Repeat Policy

If you are repeating a course this semester, please notify the Registrar's Office, C.B. Hedgcock, room 2202, 906-227-2278, or e-mail records@nmu.edu so your record can be properly adjusted. NMU counts the most recent grade in a course even if that grade is lower than the previous one. If you are receiving financial aid and are repeating a course in which you received a grade other than an "F", you should review the repeat policy for potential impacts to your current financial aid eligibility. Repeating courses may also impact your long term financial aid eligibility. Please review the satisfactory academic progress policy.

While the university allows almost any course to be repeated, if you have failed a course two times at NMU, you must wait for one semester during the academic year before taking the course for the third time. Additionally, you must demonstrate to the head of the department offering the course that the factors that contributed to poor performance have been resolved.

Registrar's Office
2202 Hedgcock
Phone: 906-227-2278
Email: records@nmu.edu
Website: nmu.edu/registrar

Have you Updated your Address and Phone Number?

Even though NMU uses e-mail as a primary way to communicate with students, the university still needs an updated address and phone number. NMU faculty and staff or classmates may try to reach students by phone or important documents may be sent by mail. If you have not given the university your current address, the information will be sent to your permanent address. This could possibly result in a delay in receiving information that is time-sensitive. You can update your current and permanent address and phone number on their MyNMU account under the Student Services tab.

Semester Deletion Policy

This policy allows students who qualify to delete an entire semester of NMU grades. Students must return to the university after an extended period of time, not have attended any college for at least three years before reentry, and meet certain GPA requirements. For information, contact the Academic and Career Advisement Center.

Changing or Declaring Your Major

All changes to majors, except education and psychology majors, are made by the staff in the Academic and Career Advisement Center or on the web. Students wishing to declare a major in education or psychology must contact the respective department. Academic and Career Advisement Center, C.B. Hedgcock, Room 3302, 906-227-297 e-mail: acac@nmu.edu, website: nmu.edu/acac.

Graduate Student News

Non-Degree Students: If you plan on obtaining a graduate degree or certificate, you must complete a new application or request a curriculum change. You will need to meet the admission requirements and be admitted to the desired program in order to receive a graduate degree or certificate. There is no assurance that courses taken as a non-degree student will apply to your degree.

Plan of Study/CAPP: Online Curriculum, Advising and Program Planning (CAPP) is now available through MyNMU for most graduate students. CAPP is an advising tool used by both students and advisers to evaluate coursework against degree requirements and is used as a graduate program plan of study. An adviser hold will be placed on your record after the completion of eight credit hours. Note: CAPP degree evaluations are unofficial unless verified by the graduate office. Students are responsible for meeting all of the requirements specified in their graduate bulletin. If a CAPP audit is not available for your bulletin year/program, you will need to develop a paper plan of study with your adviser.

The 7-Year Rule: There is a seven-year time limit on credits for graduate degrees. If you do not complete your degree within seven years, you will lose credits taken more than seven years ago unless you are granted an extension by the graduate office. Extensions may be granted in rare cases where unforeseen circumstances keep the student from graduating on time and must be supported by the academic department. In no cases will courses more than ten years old by the time of graduation be counted towards the degree.

R Grades: Students may receive a research in progress "R" grade in a course where the primary focus is research, such as a thesis. The student has a maximum of three years from when the "R" grade is issued to complete the course requirements. Faculty may designate a deadline of fewer than three years if deemed appropriate. Failure to complete the specified work within the designated time frame may result in a "U" or "F" grade for the course.

Master's Capstone Project: A capstone project is required for all master's degrees and is typically identified as a thesis, a graduate research project, portfolio or file papers. For more information on this requirement, contact your adviser or the Office of Graduate Education and Research.

Electronic Thesis Submission: All theses must be submitted electronically at least 30 calendar days prior to graduation to the NMU Commons. See nmu.edu/thesis for complete instructions on how to submit your thesis.

Graduation: If you plan to graduate with any degree or certificate, you MUST register for graduation by the 4th day of the semester of graduation. Register online the same way as you would for a class (subject-Graduation) or contact the graduate office at 906-227-2300. Failure to register may result in not being awarded your degree.

College of Graduate Studies and Research: 
401 Cohodas Hall
Phone: 906-227-2300
E-mail: graduate@nmu.edu
Website: nmu.edu/graduate

Electronic Financial Aid Notifications

The Financial Aid Office uses students' NMU e-mail accounts for communicating important information. Notifications regarding missing information, financial aid awards and award adjustments are sent to students' NMU e-mail addresses.

Students are prompted to go to MyNMU to access their financial aid account information. Reminders about important dates such as those for filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, finalizing enrollment for financial aid purposes, turning in requested documents, and availability of summer applications will also be sent to students electronically. In addition, most required forms can be printed from nmu.edu/financialaid/printableforms.

Students should check their NMU e-mail regularly.

Additional information about the Financial Aid Office can be found at nmu.edu/finaid. The site also contains financial aid rights and responsibilities information, resources for finding scholarships and alternative loan contacts.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Federal law requires all students who receive financial aid to make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) toward their degrees. The intent of this policy is to ensure that students who are receiving federal financial aid for their education are making measurable progress toward completion of a degree in a reasonable period of time. This policy affects federal, state and NMU institutional aid. The policy is available on the Financial Aid website at: nmu.edu/finaidsapFinancial Aid Office, C.B. Hedgcock, Room 2107, 906-227-2327, e-mail: fao@nmu.edu.

Register Your Car on the Web - Parking Decal Required to Park on Campus

Students wishing to park on campus during the school year must purchase a parking permit. Students have the option of registering their vehicles on MyNMU or in person at Public Safety Parking Services. Once signed in, choose the student services tab and under Police Department Services click on Vehicle Registration and Citation Appeals.  You will be required to sign into the parting portal with your my.nmu credentials. Students who register on MyNMU will have their parking permit mailed to them. A valid vehicle registration is required if you register a vehicle in person. No exceptions will be granted.

All tickets are valid citations including those written the first week of school. Tickets issued for failure to register a motor vehicle will not be excused. Students who need to park on campus and do not have a valid permit must stop at Public Safety and Police Services and get a temporary permit. Temporary permits are available for up to 5 days a semester at no charge. Four-week temporary permits are available for $30. The annual fee for commuters, residents and university apartment residents is $140. This is pro-rated if you only need a pass for winter or summer. Second vehicle permits are half the price of the first vehicle permit. Motorcycle permits are $22.50.

Parking Decal Application

Current Students - If you have already registered for classes, please purchase your parking decal(s) on MyNMU. The application can be found under the Student Services tab. You must be registered for classes in order to purchase a parking decal.

Visitors and Guests - Please visit Public Safety and Police Services to receive a complimentary parking pass. Public Safety and Police Services, Parking Bureau, 100 Services Building - 906-227-1476.  Campus Map

Government and University Mandated Notifications

Northern Michigan University and all federally funded educational institutions are required by law to report the following information to students, faculty, staff and the university community on a yearly basis. NMU updates these reports each summer prior to publication. Please visit the consumer and safety information web page to review other consumer disclosures: nmu.edu/financialaid/node/74.

Consumer and Safety Information

Federal regulations require that institutions provide enrolled and prospective students specific consumer information about financial aid, campus, facilities, student athletes, important resources and disclosures, as well as information to promote campus security and fire safety, and to prevent drug and alcohol abuse. Because of the nature of federal, state and institution guidelines affecting financial aid programs, the information contained in this website is subject to change.

NMU Programs Meet State Educational Requirements for Licensure

NMU complies with the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) § 668.43 for the implementation of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended which requires disclosures about our programs that lead to licensure/certification by states. NMU established a landing page with links to basic information for all colleges. If there are applicable licensure disclosures, the link to the department page with 668.43-compliant information is found by expanding the unit, then scrolling to the “Licensure Disclosures” section (after “Bylaws”) at: https://nmu.edu/academicaffairs/colleges.


The following are the NMU programs that have been identified as leading to state authorization (licensure or certification) that is required to practice the profession students would expect the academic program to prepare them to practice. Most of the NMU programs subject to this regulation are in the College of Health Sciences & Professional Studies:

  • Numerous programs in the School of Clinical Sciences.
  • Department of Criminal Justice 
  • School of Education, Leadership & Public Service (including secondary education programs offered in partnership with other colleges)
  • School of Health & Human Performance master’s in Athletic Training
  • School of Nursing 
  • Department of Social Work


Additionally, one program, in Dept. of Psychological Sciences, in the College of Arts & Sciences; the College of Business prepares students for professional practice as Certified Public Accountants (CPA); and the College of Technology & Occupational Sciences has numerous programs that lead to various optional and/or certifications by professional organizations, but only one that leads to required state licensure, Cosmetology.

Religious and Spiritual Observance

Faculty, staff, and students practice a variety of religious and spiritual traditions, which enhance the diversity of our campus community. NMU acknowledges that scheduling conflicts between required academic activities and religious and spiritual obligations are inevitable.

When an exam, assignment, or class conflicts with a religious or spiritual obligation, students should contact their instructors as soon as possible prior to the schedule conflict (generally a minimum of two weeks prior to the date or as specified by the instructor).

If advance notice is given by a student, faculty should work with the student to provide a reasonable accommodation to the request. The specific accommodations employed may vary from course to course depending upon factors such as the size of the class, nature of the course content, and mode of instruction. Students are not exempt from meeting course requirements or completing assignments in a timely manner as determined by the instructor. If applicable, students are responsible for making arrangements with a placement site (e.g., internship, practicum) to meet required obligations or responsibilities.

State Consumer Protection Violation Contact

Northern Michigan University works diligently to maintain the highest level of integrity in all areas of its mission and daily operations. However, it is important that students, faculty, staff, alumni, community members and other consumers of NMU's services know what to do in the event of a situation that involves suspected fraud, illegal, or unethical behaviors regarding consumer protection. In addition to the university's internal policy for reporting fraud and other consumer protection violations, NMU follows the federal guideline of providing a state contact where complaints can be filed. For information on filing a complaint, go to nmu.edu/consumer protection.

Zero Tolerance on Copyright Infringement

Northern Michigan University has always maintained a zero tolerance policy for copyright infringement; it is an integral part of the university's Acceptable Use Policy that all users of the NMU community must read and agree to before being granted access to the university network.

NMU purchased a software tool to monitor the network for illegal sharing of copyrighted materials (audio, video, and software), and has been using the software since August 2007.

A first infraction will result in a pop-up screen and warning e-mail that will be sent to the offending network user informing them to stop the illegal activity; this will include a listing of the copyrighted material that was detected. In addition, the user will lose Internet access for a period of 48 hours from the time the infraction is recorded. Once the 48 hours has passed, the user will need to re-register their computer for access to the NMU network.

A second infraction will result in a pop-up screen and warning e-mail that will be sent to the offending network user informing them to stop the illegal activity; this will include a listing of the copyrighted material that was detected. In addition, the user will lose Internet access for a minimum of 48 hours, and until the user resolves all infractions with the NMU HelpDesk. Once the infractions are resolved, the user will need to re-register their computer for access to the NMU network.

A third infraction will result in a pop-up screen and warning e-mail that will be sent to the offending network user informing them to stop the illegal activity; this will include a listing of the copyrighted material that was detected. In addition, the user will lose Internet access for a 60-day period. Third infractions by students will result in Student Code charges and will be handled through the Dean of Students Office. Once the 60-day period has passed, the user will need to re-register their computer for access to the NMU network. Human Resources will handle third infractions for faculty and staff.

Those with questions regarding acceptable network and computer use should contact the NMU HelpDesk at 906-227-2468 or helpdesk@nmu.edu.

Policy Regarding Sexual Offender Registration

In accordance with the Campus Sex Crimes Prevention Act, Northern Michigan University is providing a link to the Michigan Public Sex Offender Registration Website: mipsor.state.mi.us. A link to this registry is also available on NMU's Public Safety Website: nmu.edu/policedepartment.

This act requires Northern Michigan University to issue a statement advising the campus community where law enforcement information provided by the state of Michigan concerning registered sex offenders may be obtained. It also requires sex offenders already required to register in the state to provide notice to each institution of higher education in the state at which the person is employed, carries on a vocation or is a student.

Restricting Directory Information

Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, the university may release—without your authorization—certain information about you. This information is called "directory information."

However, you have the right to restrict the release of all directory information by completing a form available from the Student Service Center, C.B. Hedgcock, Room 2201. This may be done at any time during the semester. You may also request to withhold directory information from the university telephone directory. See related articles- Implications of Restricting Your Information and Restricting Information from the NMU Telephone Directory.

The following information may be released unless you specifically request otherwise:

  • name, local address, local telephone number, permanent address, permanent telephone number
  • NMU e-mail address
  • dates of attendance at the university, enrollment status, degrees earned, honors, awards, participation in officially recognized university activities and sports(includes height and weight of student-athletes), current term candidacy for degrees and/or teaching certification
  • program level, class standing, major/minor
  • photographs

Requesting a restriction of any of the above categories of information will result in a confidentiality indicator being set on your record. If your name is restricted, this means that you must transact all business in person or via the web. NMU staff will not be able to assist you over the phone, nor will the university acknowledge your presence as a student to outside agencies or in university publications.

Implications of Restricting Your Information

Exercising your right under FERPA to restrict your information has implications university-wide. If you restrict your name, you are telling the university that you do not want NMU to acknowledge your presence as a student to any outside agency in any way. This means that you will have to conduct all business either in person with proper photo identification or on your computer at My.NMU. Staff members cannot assist you over the telephone.

Restricting all directory information results in several issues students don't often realize. It means that your enrollment cannot be verified to any outside source such as potential employers, colleges or universities or medical insurance companies. Your name will not appear in any official university publication distributed to the public, such as the Dean's List, a theater or commencement program, and no information concerning your accomplishments can be provided to the media including academic, extracurricular, or athletic recognition.

A restriction that you place on your information lasts until you remove it, even though you may no longer be a student. If you leave the university with the restrictions in place, the university may not be able to verify to a future employer or anyone else that you had attended or graduated from NMU.

Athletic Program Participation Rates Notification

A full report on athletic program participation rates and financial support data can be found at: http://www.nmuwildcats.com/recruits/faqs_and_general_info. A paper copy is available upon request at the Financial Aid Office or the Intercollegiate Athletics Office.

Financial Aid Office
C.B. Hedgcock, Room 2107
Phone: 906-227-2327
E-mail: fao@nmu.edu

Intercollegiate Athletics Office
Superior Dome, Room B109
Phone: 906-227-2105

Equal Opportunity at NMU

Northern Michigan University is an equal opportunity institution and an equal opportunity employer.

NMU is committed to administering all employment, admission and educational policies and practices without unlawful discrimination, according to state and federal laws. These laws and policies are intended to ensure fairness in hiring, employee relations and benefits, student admissions, the provision of student services, and workplace and classroom accommodations.

Northern Michigan University does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of ancestry, race, national origin, color, religion or creed, sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, age, height, weight, marital status, familial status, handicap/disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal or state law in employment or the provision of services. NMU provides, upon request, reasonable accommodation including auxiliary aids and services necessary to afford individuals with disabilities an equal opportunity to participate in all programs and activities.

In addition, Northern is committed to ongoing efforts that increase the diversity of its faculty, staff and students.

Northern Michigan University's Dean of Students coordinates student-based compliance, the Human Resources Office is responsible for employee-related issues, and the Equal Opportunity Office is responsible for employee-based compliance.

If you have questions, or if you believe that a violation or potential violation of state or federal non-discrimination laws has occurred, is occurring or will occur, please notify the Equal Opportunity Office or the Dean of Students, as appropriate. Mail to either office can be sent to 1401 Presque Isle Avenue, Marquette, MI 49855.

Dean of Students
C.B. Hedgcock, Room 2001
Website: nmu.edu/dso

Christine Greer
Assistant Vice President and Dean of Students
E-mail: dso@nmu.edu

Equal Opportunity Office
158 Services Building
Website: nmu.edu/equalopportunity

Janet Koski
Director of Equal Opportunity
Equal Opportunity Officer and Title IX Coordinator
E-mail: jakoski@nmu.edu

NMU Graduation Rates

Institutions of higher education have been directed by the federal government to share information regarding student graduation rates.

Below are Northern Michigan University’s graduation rates by cohort based on the year that the students enrolled at NMU. These rates represent all first-time, full-time degree-seeking freshmen in their given cohort year. Cells with “n/a” are empty because those points in time have not yet passed. Data for 2017 graduates will be available at the end of summer 2017 and can be requested from the Institutional Research Office by emailing janichol@nmu.edu or calling 906-227-2670.

Cohort4 year %5 year %6 year %7 year %>7 year %

For more information on NMU graduation rates or other statistical data, check out the NMU Institutional Research website at: nmu.edu/IR.

ADA Accommodations

Disability Services provides assistance for students who qualify under the American's with Disabilities Act (ADA) to receive accommodations.

Students interested in requesting accommodations should contact Disability Services.

Disability Services
(located in the Dean of Students Office)
C.B. Hedgcock, Room 2001
Phone: 906-227-1700
E-mail: disability@nmu.edu
Website: nmu.edu/disabilityservices

Human Resources provides assistance for employees of the university and applicants for employment who qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act and amendments to receive accommodations.

An employee or applicant interested in requesting accommodations should contact Human Resources.

Human Resources
158 Services Building
Phone: 906-227-2420
E-mail: hr@nmu.edu
Website: nmu.edu/hr

Empowering Yourself – Safety Awareness

Northern Michigan University is committed to providing education and support services that empower students, faculty, and staff. NMU is dedicated to creating a safe and respectful community that does not tolerate sexual assault, and seeks to cultivate and support a community of sexual respect and safety.

To reduce your risk of sexual misconduct, please remember these important tips: stay in touch with someone who knows where you are and who you're with; be cautious if someone tries to isolate you, even someone you know or trust; know and communicate your limits firmly and directly; limit alcohol intake; never leave a drink unattended; and be aware of your surroundings.

If you or someone you know is a victim of sexual assault, please contact:

Janet Koski
Director of Equal Opportunity
Equal Opportunity Officer
Title IX Coordinator
158 Services Building
906-227-2420 or jakoski@nmu.edu

Mary Brundage (Deputy Coordinator)
Associate Dean of Students
201 Hedgcock
906-227-1700 or mbrundag@nmu.edu

Student's Right to Review Records (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights are:

  • The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days from the day the university receives a request for access. Students should submit a written request to the office housing the records, identifying the record(s) he or she wishes to inspect.
  • The right to request an amendment to the student's education record that the student believes is inaccurate or misleading. Students should write the university official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record he or she wants changed, and specify why they believe it is inaccurate or misleading.
  • The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without written consent. One exception that permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. A school official may include those who contract with the university to provide services.
  • The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the university to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is the Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 400 Maryland Avenue, S.W., Washington, DC 20202.

NMU's complete FERPA policy can be viewed at nmu.edu/registrar/ferpa.

The Jeanne Clery Act

Notice of Availability of Annual Security Report

The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act requires the university to report certain crime statistics on a yearly basis. Northern Michigan University's Annual Security Report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Northern Michigan University; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from the campus.

The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, such as policies concerning sexual assault and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report by contacting NMU Public Safety or by accessing the Public Safety and Police Services website at: nmu.edu/clery.