The NMU Orientation staff have tried to answer all your frequently asked questions below. If you have a question that is not on this list, please contact our office at (906) 227-1707, or email us

Orientation Overview

All new first year, transfer, full time, part time, and non-degree seeking students planning to enroll in courses.

  • Re-entry students
  • Post-baccalaureate students (new and returning)
  • Guest Students attending SUMMER session only
  • Graduate students (new and returning)
  • ELIN (Electrical Line Technician) Students
  • RN to BSN online program
  • Local corrections program
  • Advanced law enforcement program
  • Cosmetology instructor certification program
  • Senior citizens
  • Police academy, dual-enrolled and summer scholars high school students*
  • Full time faculty and staff
  • Students in the Esthetics Certificate Program

* These students will have to attend orientation if/when they enter NMU in a degree-seeking program.

Orientation has been intentionally designed to help students learn how to be successful at Northern before classes even begin. During orientation students will learn about academic requirements, meet with an academic adviser, schedule classes, meet other students, cover important university policies, and begin to familiarize themselves with the plethora of student life resources. The goal of our program is for students (and family members/guests!) to feel comfortable with how NMU operates, so you can plan ahead and focus on starting out your first semester as successfully as possible!


Information regarding how to sign up for orientation is included in the admissions welcome packet which informs students that they have been admitted into NMU; no separate packet will be mailed. Students can register for orientation by using the online reservation system. Students need to provide an e-mail address when registering for Orientation*. Two weeks before the registered orientation date, you will receive an e-mail with arrival information.

*Please note: High school emails are deactivated when a student graduates. If possible, use a non-school issued email account. 

Students will receive an immediate e-mail confirmation if they register using the online reservation system. Students using a registration method other than the online reservation system (e.g. paper packet, or phone) will receive confirmation within two weeks by mail or e-mail after registration.

The $126 student orientation fee pays for the entire program. The fee pays for professional and student staff, technology needs, processing, and much more. Every dollar that a student pays goes right back into the program. Family/Guest's are able to attend a family/guest orientation for a separate fee. Only the student orientation is mandatory. More information here: Session Fees & Refund Policy

Accommodations are available for the three day summer sessions only!  Students and their families/guests can stay on campus for a fee.  This fee typically includes two nights and 5 meals. 


Student FAQs

If you have yet to set up your NMU user account, visit the Helpdesk website for instructions. You will need to have your first and last name, birth date, and NMU IN or SSN number to set up your account. The NMU Helpdesk is available for any technical solutions at (906) 227-2468.

Students will be able to pick up their Student ID Card when they arrive on campus. You will learn more about your student ID card during orientation.

Students will be able to pick-up their laptops once they arrive on campus. You will learn more about the laptop during orientation.

Prior to attending orientation, students will be contacted by the NMU Orientation office with information on how to complete the ALEKS Math Placement test. This test will be online and unproctored, and will potentially allow students to be in the courses that they may need for their major. More information about your specific placement or additional testing opportunities will be provided by your adviser during orientation. If you have questions about math placement, please contact the Academic and Career Advisement Center at 906-227-2971 or For more information on placement exams, visit

The refund process for courses is regulated by the Registrar. You can find information on withdrawal deadlines and refund amounts on their website. If you have more questions, you can contact them at (906) 227-2258.

If you are concerned about your orientation refund, you can find more information on our orientation refund page, or by contacting the Orientation office at (906) 227-1707.


The Online-Transfer Orientation is only for students who have successfully transferred 12 post-high school college credits.  While the online orientation can be beneficial for students who are out of the area the online orientation is extremely independent. Only students who are comfortable with online learning, and making a phone appointment with their department should explore this option.

Transfer Orientation


Family/Guest FAQs

There will be optional in-person family/guest orientation sessions for Winter and Summer 2023. There will be a fee of $50.00 for the first family member/guest and $20.00 for any additional family member/guest to attend.  You can register for the in-person family/guest orientation on our registration site at or by calling our office at 906-227-1707.  

We encourage all families/guests to review our Orientation Video Playlist.  You can find this and more information on the Family/Guest Orientation page.


All students are allowed to bring a car to campus with registration and purchase of a parking permit from Parking Services. Registration and fee information can be found on the Parking Services website.

If the student does not have or wish to bring a vehicle to campus, there are still many ways for them to get around town and visit home. There is public transportation to and from our campus. This includes a free Friday Shopping Shuttle to Meijer, Walmart, and Target.

Located near Flagstar Bank in the Northern Center is a Commuter Connection Board with tips for commuters, and a place to post and find rides. You can also use Amtrak, Greyhound, or Sawyer International Airport which provide transport from Marquette.


There are many jobs on- and off-campus available to students throughout the school year and summer months. Jobs are posted on NMU Career Service’s all-in-one web system, Handshake. More information on logging into Handshake can be found on the Career Services Website.

There are plenty of resources for your child when they get sick at school. Students should communicate with their professors if they are going to miss any class sessions. It is important for students to stay up to date on their coursework even if they need to miss class.

For food, Dining Services provides a Sick Tray option. Simply fill out the online form and ask your roommate or another resident to pick up your meal at Northern Lights Dining.

If your student needs to visit a health clinic, there is one conveniently located on campus in Gries Hall. The on-campus health center is only open to current students, faculty, and staff. Call (906) 227-2355 to schedule an appointment, or visit for more information.



The Health Center does not participate with all insurance plans, but will submit claims to all insurance plans for which they have proper claim information on file. The Health Center will directly bill your insurance, and any copay or services not covered will be charged to your student’s e-bill. For specific questions about your coverage, it is best to contact the Customer Service number on the back of your card.

To ensure the clinic has complete and correct information, students should have their current insurance card(s) with them when arriving at the Health Center for care. If your student is covered under more than one health insurance plan, please have them bring all plan cards with them. We may also need the address, phone number and date of birth of the policy subscriber.

For more questions, call (906) 227-2355 or visit for more information.

Family can deposit money into their student’s CatCash account through GET at NMU. You will need your student’s IN to deposit the money correctly. If your student does not know their NMUIN, they can find this information by logging in to their MyNMU account, clicking on their username in the upper right corner of the page, and it will be displayed on the next page.

Your student can also send you a request for money from their personal GET account. In order to access their account, they first log in to MyNMU, click on student services, and then click on “Wildcat Express/Dining Services” in the third column. They log in using their NMU username and password. Once logged in, there is an “Ask for Funds” card in the right column where they can send you a request for money via email.

CatCash never expires and students can use it at the following locations: Fieras, Cat Trax Convenience Store, Northern Lights Dining, the Wildcat Den, Starbucks, Smoothie King, Temaki, Sundre and Melted. Additionally, CatCa$h can be used at Harden Hall for printing, copying, and other needs.

For more questions, call (906) 227-2520 or visit the Wildcat Express Center for more information.


The best way to know how your student is doing is talking to them directly. The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act, or FERPA, regulates information the institution is allowed to share with individuals who are not the student. Therefore, professors and advisers will not release any information to a parent or guardian as it would be a violation of FERPA.

The best place to start if you are unable to get in touch with your student is the Dean of Students office. If your student lives on campus, they will be able to work with Housing and Residence Life to check-in with your student. If they live off-campus, the Dean of Students has an excellent relationship with community agencies, like the police, who can help make contact with your student. You can reach the Dean of Students office at (906) 227-1700.